The Health Care Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) impacts medical coding as it states any covered entity reporting e-PHI reimbursement information must adhere to the standard coding systems for the relevant procedures. Outsource Strategies International (OSI) understands this and provides coding solutions in complete compliance with HIPAA regulations.
HIPAA and Medical Coding
Under HIPAA, a code set refers to any set of codes applied to encode data elements such as tables of terms, medical concepts, and medical diagnostic and procedural codes. All health care organizations falling under HIPAA law are required to follow the specified standard requirements for medical coding. These requirements cover the privacy and security of patient health information, health care fraud and abuse and standard guidelines when submitting electronic patient health information for reimbursement, which are directly related to medical coding. HIPAA compliant medical coding companies need to establish administrative, technical, and physical safeguards of patient e-PHI.
The Current Procedural Terminology or CPT system is used for physician services and the International Classification of Diseases-Ninth Revision codes or ICD-9 codes are used for hospital diagnoses and inpatient hospital services.
Medical Coding Solutions
OSI provides medical coding services based on AMA (American Medical Association) and CMS (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services) guidelines. Our AAPC (American Association of Professional Coders) certified medical coders are well-versed in CPT and ICD codes related to all medical specialties. We are also ICD-10 ready.
Our company offers CPT, CDT, ICD-9 and HCPCS coding for hospital/in-patient, ambulatory surgical centers and other medical facilities along with the following services:
- Emergency room e-code evaluation
- Validation of DRG/ICD-9-CM codes
With OSI, you are assured of 30% to 40% savings on your operational costs. Call 1-800-670-2809 to discuss your requirements with our solutions manager or to get started with our Free Medical Coding Trial.
Our HIPAA Regulation Protocols
- All external drives are disabled on each computer
- No individual is allowed to bring in any floppies, electronic devices including laptops, PDA
- Thorough checking is done on each and every employee who enters and leaves the premises
- Random checking is done on a regular basis
- All our computers are password protected
- Firewalls and antivirus software are installed in all computers, and we update virus definitions daily
- Any spoiled hard copies of notes and copies of patient information are shredded on site
- Monthly backups of computer systems is performed in a locked outbuilding with password protected lockers for storage
- 256 bit AES encryption for all transferred files
Since all work is done at our office and we do not have any sub-contractors, all information about the patient will be secure within our office premises. The entire workforce is trained on privacy, security, and confidentiality.
Our coders work with advanced software such as EncoderPro, FLashcode and CodeLink to speed up the code assignment. However, records are kept secure and all appropriate laws are observed for handling the release of information.
With OSI, there are no long-term yearly contracts. To know more about our HIPAA compliant medical coding, dial 1-800-670-2809.