The AAPC (American Association of Professional Coders) had conducted a survey (for the year 2007) questioning 5155 professional coders and the results clearly revealed the fact that certified coders earn an average of 17 percent more than their non-certified counterparts.
The survey revealed the range of salary today for the 3 different categories of coding professionals;
- Noncertified coders earn (on average) $25K-$30K
- Certified coders earn $30K-$35K
- Specialty certified coders earn $35K-$40K
Here are some more facts that the survey indicated;
- 41 percent of coding positions are closed to non-certified coders
- Specialty coders get the most pay.
- Only one percent of non-certified coders took home over $85,000.
- Coding professionals from urban locations earned more than suburban or rural locations.
- More years of experience means more earnings
- Graduate coders earn more than non graduate coders
More details of the survey can be seen at, http://www.aapc.com/documents/Salary_Survey2007.pdf
For details on different certifications for professional coders go to, http://www.aapc.com/certification/index.aspx
Outsource Strategies International (OSI) is a US based medical transcription company that offers professional outsourcing services in medical coding, medical billing and medical transcription for all the medical specialties.