Search engine optimization or search engine ranking is the process of modifying a website to rank high in leading search engines. It requires much research, forethought, and skill to implement correctly. SEO is fairly cheap compared to offline and print advertising. Having an optimized website is the best advertising strategy by which you will get high return on investment (ROI) rather than other advertising media.
Search engine ranking or website optimization ranks a website so that it can be seen by Internet users by achieving high positions within the result pages of search engine or results of a search query. Search engine ranking of a website is affected by a number of factors, including
- Total number of links from related websites
- Number of years for which a website’s domain name is registered
- Age of a specific webpage on the site
- Quality of web content
- Use of tags
- Frequency and number of updates to a specified page
- Use of keywords in the website URL
- Size of text included in a page
- Rate of internal and external links
- Total number of pages
- Domain extension of the website
- Types of files used (flash, pdf, etc)
- Downtime and geographic location of web server
Search engine algorithms undergo consistent changes and evaluation. So, having a better understanding about the search engine algorithms and algorithmic changes is another criterion in search engine ranking. The ranking is effective only when it is done by a knowledgeable SEO firm with accepted SEO techniques.