As a doctor or physician, you could be anxious about using the services of a medical billing company because you do not know if it can meet your requirements. One way to solve this issue is to use your initial meetings with the company to ask its service representatives questions about the company’s experience. These questions can help you assess if the company is right for you.
Areas of Medical Billing Experience
A reliable medical billing company would have sufficient expertise and experience in the following areas:
- Typing of identified ICD-9 and CPT codes
- Keying in of patient demographics
- Contacting insurance firms on claim payment
- Writing appropriate appeal letters
- Determining the right codes for a particular specialty
- Development of proficient fee slips/superbills
- Providing detailed explanations on the handling of A/R reports
- Awareness about compliance with HIPAA rules
- Comprehension of Workers’ Compensation associated state laws
- Assisting with credentialing
A reliable medical billing company would be well aware of the current ICD-9 and CPT codes and HCPCS (Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System). It would also work with advanced medical billing software such as Advanced MD NextGen, Practice Admin, Lytec, eClinical Works, Eclipse, Medisoft and IDX. Its professional team would be able work with your software if you prefer that to them using their own. Versatility in specialties covered, flexibility in turnaround time, competency in addressing your specific requirements, cost-benefits, reduced claim denials and increased revenue are other benefits you can expect.