During this COVID-19 pandemic, traditional Thanksgiving celebrations may not be safe. The safest way to celebrate this occasion is by staying in your house. For those planning to spend Thanksgiving Day with people outside their home, CDC recommends certain key steps that would make this celebration safer.
Celebrations and gatherings are often accompanied by certain injuries for which people seek treatment. Providers must document such injuries and the medical services provided on their medical claims using accurate medical codes. Professional medical coding services are available to assist physicians in this regard.
Coming back to the CDC recommendations, here are the steps to follow to ensure a safe and joyous Thanksgiving holiday.
While attending a Thanksgiving gathering
- Consider carrying your own food, drinks and utensils
- Store your mask safely while eating/drinking
- Avoid wandering in areas where more people gather
- Use single-use options and disposable items like food containers and utensils
While hosting a gathering
Implement safe practices that all your guests can follow and thus make the occasion safer.
Key steps you can take include:
- Arrange a small outdoor meal for your community friends/family members
- Try to reduce the number of guests
- Communicate your celebration ideas with your guests ahead of time
- Routinely clean frequently touched surfaces such as doorknobs, tables, light switches, handles, desks, toilets, faucets, sinks, and electronic equipment.
- Open windows if you are celebrating indoors
- For food sharing, use single-use option plastic utensils
Traveling for Thanksgiving
- Before travel, get your flu shot
- Wear your mask in public settings and when using public transport
- Never touch your mask, eyes, nose, and mouth
- Carry extra masks and hand sanitizer
CDC advises that people diagnosed with COVID-19, have symptoms, are waiting for viral test results or are at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19 should not attend in-person holiday gatherings.
Make sure to follow all these recommendations for a safe and happy Thanksgiving holiday!